Monday, March 26, 2012

Destressing weekday meals


I love my routine of cooking on Sunday afternoon/evening to make the start of a busy week less hectic. This Sunday morning, I put some black beans to soak as soon as I got up. Then before I went out in the afternoon, I put them in the crock pot on high. When I got home a couple of hours later, they were cooked. We were able to have black beans burritos for dinner, then I made a big pot of soup for Monday dinner and lunches, and still had enough beans to freeze for later on. Mondays are so much less stressful when I have food already figured out.

How about you out there? Any good ideas for making weekday meals easier?

And btw--this soup took about 20 minutes to make. I sauteed chopped onions, potatoes, carrots in a little olive oil. Added broth, chopped caulifower and cooked 10 minutes. Then added black beans, chopped spinach, and frozen corn and cooked another 5 minutes. Seasoned with salt and herbs and spices.

2 comments:

Leah said...

I like it! I don't have any brilliant plans. I do keep things simple around here b/c the kids don't tend to like mixed up things (soups, pasta, etc). They tend to like a few separate piles of whole foods, roasted potatoes, steamed broccoli, chicken, tofu, etc. Beans for burritos, then soup is fab though!

clarbojahn said...

I like cooking on Sunday for the week ahead, too. This black bean combo with soup idea is one I'll try soon. Even though spring is here, one can't beat soup for lunch and all you have to do is heat it up. this sounds great!

I should visit more often. I'm tired of my own cooking and this blog has good ideas. Thanks for sharing. :)